Cybercrime is probably the fastest growing crime area. Increasingly, criminal networks are exploiting the speed, convenience and anonymity of the Internet to commit a diverse range of criminal activities that threaten victims across the globe.
New trends in cybercrime are emerging all the time, with estimated costs to the global economy running to billions of dollars.
Cybercrime encompasses a wide range of activities, but these can generally be broken into two categories:
• crimes that target computer networks or devices. These types of crimes include viruses and denial-of-service (DoS) attacks;
• crimes that use computer networks to advance other criminal activities. These types of crimes include crimes against children, financial crimes and even terrorism.
Some noteworthy facts are as follows:
• Cybercrime has now surpassed illegal drug trafficking as a criminal moneymaker
• Somebody’s identity is stolen every 3 seconds as a result of cybercrime
• Without a sophisticated security package, your unprotected PC can become infected within four minutes of connecting to the Internet.
Crime Stoppers International is committed to assisiting law enforcement address the problem of cybercrime and we encourage you, in your communities around the world, to use our anonymous reporting platform to provide information on the criminal networks that are involved in these activities.