Tip leads to major bust in Central America
In November 2016, Crime Stoppers joined forces with the tobacco industry in El Salvador to launch an anti-illicit trade campaign called “Denuncie Hoy”. The campaign involved training of law enforcement personnel, the creation of specialised teams, and consumer awareness via traditional and digital media.
The campaign was very successful as is evidenced by the achievements highlighted below:
- 193 master cases of cigarettes seized (1,930,000 sticks);
- 22 arrests; 8 of the persons arrested are alleged heads of illicit trade networks.;
- 4 vehicles and 11 guns seized;
- 3 major investigations currently in progress;
- 1 team of police officers (comprised of 40 agents) assigned to work with Crime Stoppers;
- 1 combined task force of police officers and military personnel (comprised of 87 agents) assigned.
This “Denuncie Hoy” campaign will soon be extended to Guatemala.